Nothing tastes quite as good as a fresh, sun-ripened tomato. Not in the mood or have the time to dig up a plot in your yard to plant a garden? At Keets Health, we believe health should be easy… and planting a tomato in a pot is!
Just follow these steps from Bonnie plants:
- Pick a good spot (one that gets six hours of sun)
- Choose which type of tomato you want to grow… look for determinate varieties (those are the types that grow into manageable bushes, not small shrubs that could be 5′ tall!)
- Find the right pot: 18″ diameter or one that is 15-20 gallons should suffice
- Use good quality potting soil
- Plant your tomato plant so only top 1/3 is above the soil. This will promote root growth
- Add a tomato cage to support your plant as it grows
- Cover the top of your soil with mulch to keep it moist (you can even have your kids shred newspaper to help in the effort)
- Water regularly… soil should be moist, not saturated
- Feed your plants with fertilizer (you can even make your own: https://blog.mypetchicken.com/2012/05/07/shannons-homemade-monster-tomato-fertilizer-recipe/)
- Enjoy your beautiful tomatoes!
For the full details see: