- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ pounds young carrots, broken in pieces
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-inch piece of turmeric root, peeled and grated (or use ½ tsp ground)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups (1 quart) filtered water or chicken broth
- Garnish ideas: Feta cheese, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, sour cream, full-fat coconut milk
- Melt coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sweat the garlic and minced ginger for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, salt, cinnamon and turmeric and cook another 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until carrots are very soft, 20-25 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in a high speed blender.
- Divide soup between 4 to 6 bowls and garnish as desired.
Turmeric is loaded with beneficial antioxidants and great for your brain. Carrots provide a large amount of essential vitamins and enzymes which aid in digestion, and ginger kills bad bacteria (like H. pylori). This soup is a true gut-health booster!
- Wash and break carrots
- Measure spices
- Grate ginger and turmeric
- Peel and press garlic (Yes! Finally someone else can peel garlic!
- Turn on the blender… big points for this one!